(1) Do you believe ODUDUWA is the ancestral father of the Yoruba people? Many Yoruba scholars claim oduduwa fell from the sky to Yoruba land. Where actually did he land? , Any sign or position anywhere in so called yoruba land (at least for tourist visit)?. Others say he came from the east, ok, did he meet people in the so called Yoruba land? If yes, then how can oduduwa now be their ancestral father?
(2) Does Yoruba have any historic monument like the pyramid structures in Old Benin, Great Benin Moat, Zimbabwe and Timbuktu in Mali? Any sign of an empire in the region as claimed do Oyo?(not talking about clay molded or primitive bronze artifacts many claim dating back to 10BC), or the story of slave raiding westward, east ward or northward. I mean physical structures that tell of an ancient civilization?.Though the two most relevant structures in Oyo-lle, the Alaafin palace and his village market as claimed by Yoruba Historians ?
(3) When and where was Yoruba presence first felt in West African history? Why no reflection of Yoruba in many ancient maps of West Africa?
(4) Was Yoruba territory in British pre- Nigeria creation say 1600-1900, same with, 1914 and again in 1960 to 1967? What expanded it and why? Were there aborigines in those territories say owo, kwara, ondo and Lagos before their presence during the British colonial period? If there were aborigines, then who were they?
(5) Did Yoruba Oyo had a National flag and a centralize hereditary monarchy like the Benin? Why couldn’t they ? What was Yoruba boundary with Dahomey before the creation of Nigeria vs. Togo boundary? Anything in common with Togo? For how long has that and why?
(6) If Yoruba clan, the awori as claimed was a kingdom or aborigine of Lagos before Britain why weren’t they first to trade with European or Portuguese in the region? Why did the first Europeans to the region not name the ocean “Bight of Awori” but The Bight of Benin.? After all, The Europeans themselves were only interested on trade, slaves and commodities as they careless who they meet.
(7) Isn’t true the word Yoruba is a hausa-fulani word? Used to identify people of Oyo? (Basically the real Yoruba settlers, who migrated from Togo or Dahomey to their present location in Oyo). Anything to do with African tradition or Islam?
(8) If true, slave trade swept off Oyo (the only known Yoruba land at the time), and an invasion of Islam, where did they get their further population from and the African traditional religion, like the Olokun, ogun, oronmila, etc?
(9) Does Yoruba have one language and one ancestral city like Benin to all Edo dialects? If no, then why?
(10) In 1974, an approval was granted Dahomey by Oba Akenzua II of the Benin Kingdom to change the name of the country to Republic of Benin. Why didn’t Republic of Benin(Togo) go to Yoruba being that they are closer and there really was an Oyo empire that stretches to Togo as Yoruba historians claim?. Does that also reveal or shows that Benin Empire stretched beyond the entire Yoruba land! To Dahomey at a time?.
(11) Who was the first king (ooni) of Ife and what year or time of reign? and who was the first king of oyo and what year or time of reign?… at what time any of the king bears “Oba” as a title?
(12) If the Yorubas says, Edo people are of their Origin then they should ask themselves these questions ; why is their language different from Edo, why is that no part in Edo land has similar names with theirs? The Yorubas should find out the meaning of ‘Eko’ called Lagos. Sincerely before the Portuguese came to this land called Nigeria the social-cultural lives of the Benin Kingdom was perfectly ok compare to the Igbos and the Yorubas. The origin of the Benin monarch or Benin Kingdom can not be traced to the Igbos or the Yorubas rather theirs
Disclaimer:Views expressed by author do not necessarily reflect the editorial position of www.themidwestjournal.com